PDA

View Full Version : More Hanksville Challenges please!

95sprtcpedrvr
08-27-2007, 11:41 AM
That was such a challenge from a spectator/starter stand point. Extremely entertaining and exciting to watch. Will there be any more in the upcoming events at Sandia and Pueblo???
I was so stoked.
Oh, and Tommy, you is one crazy SOB! :D

Snymo
08-27-2007, 12:24 PM
For those of us that were not there, what exactly was the Hanskville Challenge? Or is this some secret club type thing that we aren't allowed to know about unless we were there? ;)

Rick

slink
08-27-2007, 12:27 PM
i wish i had a comp license:mad: . that hanksville challenge looked like fun:eek: i know it was fun to watch as a fan. it reminds me of short track dirt racing:rolleyes: . where the fast cars start last. more spectator friendly when there is more passing going on.

ianacole
08-27-2007, 12:41 PM
The challenge with doing another hanksville challenge, is that if we see it on the schedule I'm doing 5 minute laps ;)

95sprtcpedrvr
08-27-2007, 01:09 PM
For those of us that were not there, what exactly was the Hanskville Challenge? Or is this some secret club type thing that we aren't allowed to know about unless we were there? ;)

Rick

If you have ran the missions in GT4 you should have an idea on how the challenge is setup.
It is based on the fastest lap times on qualified racers. The guy with the slowest time starts first, and the fastest guy starts last. And if you need help to figure out how they filled in everyone else take a math course. :D Based on the differences in sequential times the next person was released after the difference was counted down.
All I have to say is that having all the classes actually racing for every position on the track was way COOL!
It ended up that the guy with the slowest time, Mr Grande, started first and ended first mostly with the thanks from Kevin, Cody, and Tommy for tying each other up. I should have brought my video camera.

Snymo
08-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Ok I get it now, thanks! Sounds like fun! ;)

Rick

ker
08-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I
All I have to say is that having all the classes actually racing for every position on the track was way COOL!
It ended up that the guy with the slowest time, Mr Grande, started first and ended first mostly with the thanks from Kevin, Cody, and Tommy for tying each other up. I should have brought my video camera.

and chuck :eek: ;)

cullenwinter
08-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Was the start staggered so that (at least in theory) the last car would reach the finish at the same time as the car that started first ? I saw that everyone did 10 laps, seems like the disparity would have the slower cars doing fewer laps. Glad you guys had fun, wish I had been there.

95sprtcpedrvr
08-27-2007, 02:51 PM
and chuck :eek: ;)
I knew I was forgetten someone, and I feel so foolish when I knew I should have remembered Chuck.

Was the start staggered so that (at least in theory) the last car would reach the finish at the same time as the car that started first ? I saw that everyone did 10 laps, seems like the disparity would have the slower cars doing fewer laps. Glad you guys had fun, wish I had been there.
Yes, it was a staggered start.
Grande was around a full lap and a half or less by the time Kevin finally went out.

AvantAddict
08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
The challenge with doing another hanksville challenge, is that if we see it on the schedule I'm doing 5 minute laps ;)

Just add a rule that you can't improve by more than a certain percentage without a time penalty.

Snymo
08-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Yeah, no sand-bagging allowed! After all, this isn't professional racing! :D

Rick

Ludachris
08-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Just add a rule that you can't improve by more than a certain percentage without a time penalty.
Right, maybe your average lap time in the race can't be more than X% faster than your best lap time for qualifying without getting a "X" second penalty.

Special Ed GT
08-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Congrats to Doug Grande for winning the inaugural Hanksville Challenge and a check for $100 from Hanksville Hot Rods! The check's in the mail, Doug! :)

It was alot of fun to watch, especially during the last laps when the time disparities seemed to disappear more quickly! Let's definitely do more! I like Chris's idea; like some sort of breakout penalty. I'm sure Dave can work up the rules so that it stays fun for everyone.

Hank

chris_venturini
08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
since saturdays race counts for your classes points id rather do better in my saturday race than sacrifice anything for a race thats more "for fun". id think that other racers would agree with me. i dont think its really that much of an issues unless someones car is broken on saturday and gets it fixed on sunday.

svochuck
08-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I have some AWESOME video of the Hanksville Challenge ! And YES I was able to hold off the mighty Cobra > half a lap ... (Doug i will send you my pay pal account info today) .

After Weston Drove my car Sunday AM . I did make a major change in setup to improve my times on Sunday .?

95sprtcpedrvr
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM

I'd suggest following one of the NHRA rules that you can't better your time over 1/2 a second. So if your time is 1:48:55 your quickest time allowed would be 1:48:05.

chris_venturini
08-27-2007, 04:58 PM
I'd suggest following one of the NHRA rules that you can't better your time over 1/2 a second. So if your time is 1:48:55 your quickest time allowed would be 1:48:50.
that would be half of a half of a second, im not sure im that skilled to know if i made that much of a difference :p

95sprtcpedrvr
08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
that would be half of a half of a second, im not sure im that skilled to know if i made that much of a difference :p

Thanks for pointing out my typo.

BADVENM
08-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Maybe we could expand on the challenge by having the racing participants run to their cars from a designated area, strap in, start em up and take off? I forget which professional race series does this but it looks rather fun!

RichV
08-27-2007, 06:11 PM
A LeMans style start...interresting. :D

supermac
08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
I personally had a blast in the challenge. I like the breakout plan however I promise you I was trying as hard as I could on Saturday in the set up race and I was more than a second a lap quicker on Sunday. I think the hardest part is that I had to pass 15 cars to win and Doug just had to run his pace -2 seconds of course.:eek: Outside of Doug being 15 seconds ahead of Kevin you could've thrown a blanket over 2nd thru 5th. I still think it was a blast and from what I heard it was the most entertaining race of the year for the spectators! And we are all about the show!

Snymo
08-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Maybe we could expand on the challenge by having the racing participants run to their cars from a designated area, strap in, start em up and take off? I forget which professional race series does this but it looks rather fun!

Unfortunately with this crew there is no guarantee that everyone would run to their own car. I could see a line forming around Tommy's/Raybob's car much faster then others! :eek: Then you'd have to factor in the a$$-wopping time it takes to get someone out of a car that isn't theirs and then it just gets too complicated to figure out. :rolleyes:

Rick

Tommy55
08-28-2007, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately with this crew there is no guarantee that everyone would run to their own car. I could see a line forming around Tommy's/Raybob's car much faster then others! :eek: Then you'd have to factor in the a$$-wopping time it takes to get someone out of a car that isn't theirs and then it just gets too complicated to figure out. :rolleyes:

Rick

That's pretty funny. The Hanksville challenge was a blast. I think it worked out real well the way it was set up. Let's do it again.

svochuck
08-28-2007, 11:14 AM
The way it was setup really made me push the car hard for the whole race. The hardest car to pass was the one that started right in front of you (video soon to come) . Yes i found more speed on Sunday but even 3 seconds faster (on my fastest lap only) was not enough to win !

I would say the only change would be a couple of seconds closer between each car. that would help to make up for time lost stuck behind a slower car . the track will also make it easy or hard to pass so that also matters.... Shoot it was great don't change a thing !

My video is pretty cool i hope to have it up today !

Ludachris
08-28-2007, 12:11 PM
I'd suggest following one of the NHRA rules that you can't better your time over 1/2 a second. So if your time is 1:48:55 your quickest time allowed would be 1:48:05.
I think a half second would be a little too strict. We wouldn't want to penalize someone from being able to improve upon their setup and run some faster laps, but their average lap time probably shouldn't be more than 2-3 seconds faster (depending on the track of course) than their fastest qualifying lap. If we do an average instead of limiting what their fastest lap can be I think we'd leave some room for flexibility and still make it competitive/fun.

Maybe we could try staggering the field a little closer togethertoo. Think about it, the math was done with everyones' fastest lap time X 10 laps. That gives you the gap in which cars are staggered. Why not lessen the gap by a couple seconds to take passing/traffic into consideration? Not that Kevin needed the help, but it could help everyone else...

ianacole
08-28-2007, 12:47 PM
I think we should have thrown out the fastest and slowest times for each driver then averaged the remaining for starting times. I had 1 1:44:X in a sea of 1:46's and 47's...

MHISSTC
08-28-2007, 04:50 PM
During the first few laps all the spectators seemed kind of confused but curious. The race became more and more exciting as the gaps narrowed with each lap and the spectators figured out what was happening.

I think we should have thrown out the fastest and slowest times for each driver then averaged the remaining for starting times. I had 1 1:44:X in a sea of 1:46's and 47's...

I like that idea, but would that amount to a lot of number crunching? We want to make it easy on the timing and scoring folks too. How much extra effort would it take to figure that up as opposed to just picking everyone's fastest lap time?

The X% (96% to 98%???) of your fastest lap time threshold for incurring a breakout penalty sounds better than a fixed time threshold. That way the resulting time difference allowance would be greater on longer tracks and less on shorter tracks. Then assign a time penalty of something like twice the difference between your prior and new fastest lap times.

You could even combine the two ideas listed above by gridding everyone according to their average lap times and then establishing a breakout penalty threshold according to their fastest lap times.

MPH Hastings
08-29-2007, 12:35 AM
This Race was a blast...we love the format...

I posted a few pictures from the weekend...
Thanks for coming to Hastings.
George
http://www.racemph.com/2007_events.htm

Special Ed GT
08-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks to you and all the track workers for your hospitality, George! I'm not sure which made me more carsick - the ride I took in Dave's WRX or the ride I took in the Bacardi Bus! :)

Hank