PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else watching the Mclaren F1 spy scandal? WOW!

Snymo
09-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Anyone else following this??

So, the World Motor Sport Council met to determine the "new" evidence against McLaren today. They stripped all of their constructor points for this season, fined them $100 Million (yes, Million) dollars, and will allow the drivers (they got immunity for helping) to keep their points for the season. WOW!!! Honestly, I was expecting the drivers to loose their points as well, but still..... WOW!! :eek:

Rick

The FIA statement is here:

In an extraordinary meeting of the World Motor Sport Council was held in Paris on the 12th of September 2007, The following decision was taken:

"The WMSC has stripped Vodafone McLaren Mercedes of all constructors' points in the 2007 FIA Formula One World Championshiop an the team can score no point for the remainder of the season *.

"Furthermore, the team will pay a fine equal to 100 million dollar, less the FOM income lost as a result of the points deduction.

"However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team's drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regards to drivers' points **.

"The WMSC will receive a full technical report on the 2008 McLaren car and will take a decision at its December 2007 meeting as to what sanction, if any, will be imposed on the team for the 2008 season."

The full reasons for this decision will be issued on the 14th September 2007.

* Points gained by other teams so far this season will not be affected.

** No McLaren representative will be allowed on the podium should a McLaren driver win in any of the remaining races of the 2007 season.

ianacole
09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Apparently they won't receive any of the commercial rights monies, either. Pretty hefty - wonder if they'll be able to continue.

Snymo
09-13-2007, 02:25 PM
From another article:

"In discussing the $100m fine, Dennis pointed out that the team has a turnover of $450m and is debt-free."

Somehow I think we will see them for a while. Unless Vodaphone, who just switched from Ferrari to McLaren as primary sponsor, decides to pull out. Then it might get a little iffy. Just my opinion though.

Rick

ianacole
09-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Wow - $450M and Debt Free...I need to start my own F1 team :D

chris_venturini
09-13-2007, 02:50 PM
i wish 944 spec was that profitable :(

we need some more sponsors

Lee Hodgson
09-13-2007, 04:02 PM
For 1 who is not in the know, what did they do to get fined?

chris_venturini
09-13-2007, 04:16 PM
http://www.voanews.com/english/2007-09-13-voa51.cfm

BADVENM
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I remember something a few weeks ago about someone from one team being found in the pits or garage of another team...is this related to that? If not, whats the story that led to this?

Snymo
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Here is the timeline of events up until this morning.

http://www.formula1.com/news/features/2007/9/6761.html

Rick

cullenwinter
09-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Holy cow !! I didn't think they'd take it to Mclaren that hard, since spying has been part of the sport for decades. Stripping a nearly certain constructors title is harsh. Guess the 15 points from the Hungary Q3 mess don't matter much now.

I'm wondering what they'll rule regarding the "customer" car grievances. Go, super best friends, go !!

I also think it'll be interesting to see what sort of misfortune befalls Mr. Stepney. Hmmmm......

Munch
09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Holy cow !! I didn't think they'd take it to Mclaren that hard, since spying has been part of the sport for decades. Stripping a nearly certain constructors title is harsh.

I noticed on the BBC that Sir Jackie agrees with you. Drama, drama, drama!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6988645.stm

Snymo
09-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Well, the FIA released a document today with all the "details" of what has happened and what the new evidence is. After reading through this it was quite obvious that information was distributed within the team. If the driver's hadn't been given immunity I believe the team would have been excluded completely from this year's races and honestly, I think they got off easy.

Here's the full statement for those interested.
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2728560,00.html

Rick

MattB
09-14-2007, 02:42 PM
I thought the 100mil number included the money they would have won or have won this season. So the net was only around 30mil fine, the rest was forfeit of winings and potental winnings... Still, must be nice to be able to take that kind of hit to the racing budget...

95sprtcpedrvr
09-14-2007, 06:28 PM
I'll agree that they got off easy. Alonso is very lucky that he was able to hang on to his chamionship points and to find out that they might only have to pay 30 million.

FOXBAT
09-15-2007, 08:33 AM
The coach of the Patriots should get this hammered as well!

cullenwinter
09-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, the FIA released a document today with all the "details" of what has happened and what the new evidence is. After reading through this it was quite obvious that information was distributed within the team. If the driver's hadn't been given immunity I believe the team would have been excluded completely from this year's races and honestly, I think they got off easy.

Here's the full statement for those interested.
http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_2728560,00.html

Rick

Oh my !!!!!! They nailed 'em. I wonder when Ferrari will face the music for they part in this.

Now we have Fernando blackmail rumors. It's getting kind of hard to watch these people do "their job" :(