PDA

View Full Version : Race Gas

bpanther
02-28-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm arranging for the fuel supplier and need to get show of hands who will need race gas at the March Pueblo event. They'll have two types on hand - please let me know type and quantity.

Sunoco 110 leaded
$5.50/gal

Sunoco 104 unleaded
$5.50/gal

For those that only need regular pump gas, it's only about 3-4 miles from the track.

Chad5160
02-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Not a bad price either...

I'd be in for some 104 Unleaded.. 5-10 gallons for sure...probably on Sunday. Maybe more.

ker
02-28-2006, 02:11 PM
i might buy 5 to 10 gals of the 104 unleaded (to mix with the 91 unleaded :( )

Warrtalon
03-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Yes, I will be mixing 104 with pump gas both days, so probably 14 gallons worth.

jclark
03-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Would there be a benefit to mixing Sunoco 104 unleaded fuel with premium unleaded which I think the best I can get at the pump today is 91 octane in my Porsche 996? Assume that a 50/50 mixture of this will not hurt the engine and that the knock sensor would adjust accordingly.

Is this a waste of money or will it improve performance?

bpanther
03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Would there be a benefit to mixing Sunoco 104 unleaded fuel with premium unleaded which I think the best I can get at the pump today is 91 octane in my Porsche 996? Assume that a 50/50 mixture of this will not hurt the engine and that the knock sensor would adjust accordingly.

The best way to find out is check the owners manual. In *most cases* using anything over the manufacturers recommended octane will just be pouring $$ down the drain.

In the case of for (Clayton) Warrtalon, he's doing funny stuff anyways since he's injecting alcohol so he can run max boost (and cams). I think Chad probably has a StageII kit on his SRT which advances timing/boost if you are running race gas. Kevin... who knows what kind of crazy compression he has in his Cobra.

Warrtalon
03-02-2006, 05:08 PM

Just so you understand why I'm doing it, it's strictly for safety. My car is tuned specifically for a certain boost level, which is quite high, and for a certain AFR and timing that is designed for 93oct + alcohol injection. The reason I'll use 104 mixed with 93 is so that in the event anything happens with my alky injection, I won't immediately damage my engine. Additionally, when you're going full boost (or full throttle rather) for 20mins straight, it is much more stressful on the engine than a quick drag run or quick burst on the highway. For this reason, we like to use some race gas to provide extra knock resistance, not for additional power.

If your car is tuned to be optimum on 91oct for daily driving, then it might be worth it to use a little race gas for insurance. Otherwise, it may not be worth it. Whatever you do, don't use the race gas with the intent of making MORE power, but rather with the intent of providing a larger margin of safety for your engine. That's how I understand things anyway...

ker
03-02-2006, 08:39 PM
The best way to find out is check the owners manual. In *most cases* using anything over the manufacturers recommended octane will just be pouring $$ down the drain.

In the case of for (Clayton) Warrtalon, he's doing funny stuff anyways since he's injecting alcohol so he can run max boost (and cams). I think Chad probably has a StageII kit on his SRT which advances timing/boost if you are running race gas. Kevin... who knows what kind of crazy compression he has in his Cobra.

for this first event i will be bringing my anemic instruction car. ;) for miller, i will be bringing the new and improved race car. :)

Chad5160
03-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Just so you understand why I'm doing it, it's strictly for safety. My car is tuned specifically for a certain boost level, which is quite high, and for a certain AFR and timing that is designed for 93oct + alcohol injection. The reason I'll use 104 mixed with 93 is so that in the event anything happens with my alky injection, I won't immediately damage my engine. Additionally, when you're going full boost (or full throttle rather) for 20mins straight, it is much more stressful on the engine than a quick drag run or quick burst on the highway. For this reason, we like to use some race gas to provide extra knock resistance, not for additional power.

If your car is tuned to be optimum on 91oct for daily driving, then it might be worth it to use a little race gas for insurance. Otherwise, it may not be worth it. Whatever you do, don't use the race gas with the intent of making MORE power, but rather with the intent of providing a larger margin of safety for your engine. That's how I understand things anyway...

Well said..
A higher octane on a boosted car will do wonders if you have the ability to "tune." I have also seen PLENTY of factory turbo cars that will run Knock Retard on there recommended octane rating. Adding a splash of race gas to say a stock SRT4 will show at least 4-6 degrees more advance then 91. I am REALLY stoked about running some REAL unleaded race gas through my car. It's only been on CA 100 octane which anyone from Cali knows is not the same as everyone elses 100. Hell, 104 unleaded with no CA smog nazi stuff..Whohoo!

No Stage 2 but even better... Can't wait to see how she go's! I am gonna mix saturday just for safety, as said. If I can put any power down (which is doubtful) I might run my 12.5:1 map on my AFC Sunday and fill her up. We'll see.

Warrtalon
03-03-2006, 11:52 AM
No Stage 2 but even better... Can't wait to see how she go's! I am gonna mix saturday just for safety, as said. If I can put any power down (which is doubtful) I might run my 12.5:1 map on my AFC Sunday and fill her up. We'll see.

I'm pretty sure the 12.5:1 map on the SAFC will work on pure 104oct and higher boost (not sure if you raise boost or not), but I'd be concerned with running that close to the lean edge for 20mins straight. We (Evos, that is) tend to take our drag mode settings and then dial them back across the board for the road course. Keep that in mind if you do this on Sunday. You could always add fuel points on the SAFC across the rpm range and still make extra power.

95R#177
03-03-2006, 01:34 PM
for this first event i will be bringing my anemic instruction car. ;) for miller, i will be bringing the new and improved race car. :)

yeah, right, wait till you see his "anemic" instruction car...bring a "Depends":D

bpanther
03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
I confirmed with Gary the fuel guy for Saturday and Sunday. He will be there from 9am - Noon.

He is bringing at least 60 gallons or so of 104 unleaded @ 5.50/gallon. I had responses from 5 people on gas and they will get priority on it.

Ker
Cullen/John
Warrtalon
Chad

He will also have 5 gallon fuel jugs for sale if anybody needs one.

Warrtalon
03-08-2006, 11:27 AM
I confirmed with Gary the fuel guy for Saturday and Sunday. He will be there from 9am - Noon.

He is bringing at least 60 gallons or so of 104 unleaded @ 5.50/gallon. I had responses from 5 people on gas and they will get priority on it.

Ker
Cullen/John
Warrtalon
Chad

He will also have 5 gallon fuel jugs for sale if anybody needs one.

Is that 60 gallons combined for both days? I will be needing at least 14 gallons (7 each day). I will go ahead and buy a fuel jug to make it easier on everyone instead of having to borrow one - I'm sure I'll make use of it in the future.

What forms of payment will he be accepting?

bpanther
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Is that 60 gallons combined for both days? I will be needing at least 14 gallons (7 each day). I will go ahead and buy a fuel jug to make it easier on everyone instead of having to borrow one - I'm sure I'll make use of it in the future.

What forms of payment will he be accepting?

It was for both days, but I'm sure he'll be bringing *at least* that amount each day.

Cash is king!! I would guess that check and charge might be ok, but I don't know for sure.

MidlifeCrisis
03-08-2006, 07:57 PM
Sorry, was not paying enough attention to realize that 'orders' were being tallied.

I have been counting on 10 gallons of 104 Unl. on Saturday.

I'll bring my laptop in case that cannot not happen at this late date and I have to dumb-down :( the ECU for pump gas.

-Bruce

bpanther
03-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry, was not paying enough attention to realize that 'orders' were being tallied.

I'll let you slide this time Bruce..... ;) Ok, 70 gallons and I'll check to see what kind of $$ he accepts.

I'll run a new tally until tomorrow afternoon and then give him a call.

MidlifeCrisis
03-08-2006, 08:40 PM
You're a peach!