PDA

View Full Version : NASA RM - GT4/Forza2 racing schedule

Snymo
11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
For anyone interested in PS2/GT4 or Xbox360/Forza2 racing, here is the schedule of events. In general, we are meeting on the 2nd Sunday of each month.

Date - Location
12/14 - Dave B's house (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=2600)
12/31 - cancelled
1/11 - Peak Eurosport (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=2659)
2/8 - Cancelled
3/8 - TBD

What you need to bring:
In most cases, you will need to bring everything you would need to play on your own. Game system (PS2/Xbox360), game (GT4/Forza2), TV, Steering Wheel/Pedal (optional, but recommended), seat and table. Networking equipement may be provided, but will depend on the attendees and location, so please plan ahead.

What is optional to bring:
Additional racing games, game systems, wheels/pedals that might be used by other players or that might be fun to try out. Ex: PS3/F1 or DIRT for Xbox360.

If you have further questions, please ask.

Rick

jgray
12-01-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm still in for 12/14 at Dave's place! Good idea starting a new thread. ;)

Joel

bpanther
12-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I guess I am in for 12/14...

Coloradomark
12-01-2008, 08:56 AM
If you ever have an interest in moving north to Ft Collins we could hold an event at my shop. I have LOTS of tables and chairs stored there from a restaurant that closed. I don't have an Internet connection though, if that is needed.

Bottoz
12-01-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm in for the 14th... but not for New Years Eve, unless there's a plethora of hott chicks to make out with at mid-night.

Weston
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm in for the 14th... but not for New Years Eve, unless there's a plethora of hott chicks to make out with at mid-night.

LOL. I'll plan on the 14th, but it looks like I wont be able to make it on New Years Eve...

Weston
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Just thought I'd pass along this deal I found... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889160016

I just ordered one for $219 today, and it sounds like that price could go back up tomorrow. I had been looking to replace my 17" CRT monitor with an LCD that could also take component or composite inputs (for my PS2 and Wii), and nothing else I've found even begins to touch this price. So, no more hauling that big old 25" TV to our GT4 parties and not being able to see where I'm going, and no more hauling my CRT monitor to LAN parties at Chuck's house, fighting CJ for table space. :D

GaryM05
12-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm in for the 14th at Dave's.

Dillon
12-01-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm in for the 14th, but as mentioned before I can't make it for New Year's. Oh yeah, I made the jump and got a 360 with Forza 2! Shall we start another list as to who is bringing what? I'll still be bringing my PS2 so I can play some GT4 as well as Forza, but I suspect Forza might be getting more play time, due to less lag, more cars, and arguably better game mechanics. I know we should have at least three people bringing 360s, counting myself, with a good two or three more "possibles"...

jgray
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Oh yeah, I made the jump and got a 360 with Forza 2!

Well ****! How am I supposed to keep up with the Jones's in THIS economy?

Snymo
12-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Dec 14th - Entry Lists :D

PS2/GT4
Dave B
Joel
Gary
Weston
CJ
Dillon

Xbox/Forza2
Dave B
Gary
Dillon
Rick

Let me know if there are changes and I'll keep this updated until the event.

Dillon
12-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Well ****! How am I supposed to keep up with the Jones's in THIS economy?
Got any stuff kicking around that you wouldn't mind parting with? I sold one of my guitars I didn't play much anymore to get mine :p

Dillon
12-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Do any of you Forza guys play on Live? I'm making a gamer tag tonight to try it out, would be fun to play with some people I know instead of a bunch of random shmucks...

Snymo
12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Do any of you Forza guys play on Live? I'm making a gamer tag tonight to try it out, would be fun to play with some people I know instead of a bunch of random shmucks...

I've tried it a couple of times, but only with friends. Sometimes the network lag can be distracting, but overall it's pretty good. I'm listed online as 'snickryder' if you want to add me to your Friends list. I've got to work at Peak tonight, so I wouldn't be able to play until after 9PM, but I could do a few laps if you wanted to see what it's like. Do you have the headset? That makes it really easy to figure out what to do since you can start a conversation and then setup a game to play. Let me know if you want to give it a try tonight.

Dillon
12-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Yep, I have a headset. Not sure how long it will take me to get my account all set up, but I'd be down to try it out, see if it's worth buying or not. (You get a free month when you sign up...I think.) Be warned, I'm not too good at using the wheel yet :)

Dillon
12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey Rick, if you read this, I got Live set up. My name on there is dillonp87...apparently it forced me to use the same name as my email, oh well. I can make a new one later. I just added you and I'll be on for a while, so feel free to send me a message.

cullenwinter
12-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Man, I hope I can make it up there sometime to school you all at GT4 !!

Anybody ever drive the PS2 title "Enthusia" ?

It's got challenging vehicle dynamics and some very cool road courses, including loose gravel, snow and my favorite, a paved very windy mountain road, that can be driven up or down hill. Nurburgring, can be run in reverse (as if it wasn't enough of a challenge) The points system in career mode is mystifying, but the driving challenge more than makes up for it.

Snymo
12-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Dillon and I played Forza2 online last night with pretty good success, except for his headset. I was using the wireless wheel/pedals and the Xbox USB wireless network adapter to connect to my router and I didn't notice any issues at all (I've upgraded my wireless router since the last time). There was no difference for me from playing alone and I didn't notice any lag at all from Dillion's car either.

Once he got online I was able to quickly setup a race for just my friends, invite him to the race, pic our cars and race. Honestly, it was almost too easy. So, if you have Forza2 and an Xbox Live Gold membership (I just get the 3-month version for $19.99 since I won't play much once the REAL season starts), let us know as I'm sure we'll be playing other nights as well.

Rick

PS: Cullen you are welcome at any of our racing events, but that's a long way to come to not drive for real! ;) Never heard of "Enthusia", so if you do come to one, please bring it.

jgray
12-03-2008, 09:33 AM
<--- [Searching for things to sell in order to finance a different form of racing]

edit: Thanks for the write up too Rick!

GaryM05
12-03-2008, 11:23 PM
Dillon and I played Forza2 online last night with pretty good success, except for his headset.

So, if you have Forza2 and an Xbox Live Gold membership (I just get the 3-month version for $19.99 since I won't play much once the REAL season starts), let us know as I'm sure we'll be playing other nights as well.

Glad you guys were able to prove out that this works - sorry to have missed the fun. We'll have to try to schedule one of these again to see how well the game supports more players.

Snymo
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
We will be meeting at the Balingit's house in Elizabeth this Sunday (12/14) for more racing fun. Anyone else want to join us this weekend for some GT4/Forza racing action? So far we have:

PS2/GT4
Dave B
Joel
Gary
Weston
CJ
Dillon

Xbox/Forza2
Dave B
Gary
Dillon
Rick

Please respond here if you would like to join us so we can make sure we have enough room, equipement, etc.

Dave, what time should we plan on being there and can you provide some directions?

Thanks,
Rick

jgray
12-10-2008, 01:41 PM
And Dave, should we bring chairs and tables? I can't remember if you said you had that covered or not.

Joel

bpanther
12-10-2008, 06:50 PM
We sould be ok for chairs and tables.

Dillon
12-11-2008, 10:24 AM
This weekend should be fun! Turns out I won't be bringing a PS2 though. Last time I borrowed my brother's slim PS2, but I've since had to return it. And network cards for the fat PS2s are hard to come by these days. I imagine we'll all be we'll all be switching games / systems like last time though :) By the way, if anyone has Grid for the 360, I'm bringing that too. The racing isn't as realistic on it I think, but it is fun.

Snymo
01-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Doh, the next GT4/Forza get together is a week from today (1/11)! With the holidays taking up so much time this one kinda snuck up on me. So, anyone have a suggestion or location for this one? Or for that matter, anyone still want to get together?

Rick

jgray
01-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm up for it if you guys are, but Santa didn't surprise me with an Xbox so I'm still in the PS2 camp. Peak Euro was a decent location if it's still available.

Joel

bpanther
01-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm good w/Peak.

Snymo
01-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I'll check with Chris to see if we can get in....stay tuned!

chris_venturini
01-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I might go to this one, well see. I dont have any consols so im not sure how it would work. What I do have though is my computer and I just bought race07 and got miller full and outer track on it, (I know weston and Dave W have it too) its pretty cool and accurate. If more people had that we could get some practice for nationals.

Weston
01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Jan 11th should work for me, and Peak is a good location too.

I might go to this one, well see. I dont have any consols so im not sure how it would work. What I do have though is my computer and I just bought race07 and got miller full and outer track on it, (I know weston and Dave W have it too) its pretty cool and accurate. If more people had that we could get some practice for nationals.

You should come... we do more than just sit there and play PS2 the whole time, and we alternate who's playing.

If anyone else has Race07 (full version, which is only $4.99 on Steam), I put the Miller track here for convenience (the site I got it from is a pain to download from): http://www.rm944.com/games/

Open the compressed file and put it's Miller folder into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<your steam username>\race 07\Gamedata\Locations

If you're on a 64-bit version of Vista or XP, it will probably be C:\Program Files (x86)\... instead. You'll need to create the Gamedata and Locations folders if this is the first track that you've added to the game.

The outer track is "Miller Short" under the Add-On tracks menu, and the full track is "Miller Park" under the Extra tracks menu. It's not perfect, but it's quite a bit better than I expected for being a user-created track. The AI turned up all the way (105%) puts down good qualifying times on this track, but acts funny in traffic, so it's challenging, but not impossible to go from last to first within a couple of laps. I'm looking forward to doing multiplayer races on this track.

Snymo
01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
We are good to go at Peak on 1/11. I'll start another thread to track who will actually be there and what they are bringing.

Snymo
01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Guys,

So we don't have to make a last minute decision on where to meet for our Feb gathering, I thought I would start the conversation now. So far we've done Peak (Denver), Dave B's (Elizabeth) and now Peak again. Where should we meet on Feb 8th?

As a possible option Sean Soulvie (HPDE3 Corvette driver) has graciously offered his gia-normous house in Colorado Springs for a possible meeting place. He says he has a wet bar and pool table if we get bored but I think he's under-estimating our committment level to GT4/Forza2 racing! :D

Aren't Joel and CJ Springs-area based? Maybe we should give them a break from driving next time?

Thoughts and ideas?

Rick

jgray
01-08-2009, 10:19 AM
The Springs would be great! CJ and I are both on the north end of Colorado Springs, so something closer to home would be a welcome change. I'd host one of these events myself but my house is the size of a postage stamp!

Joel

GaryM05
01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Anywhere is fine with me for next time, though the Springs might not be a bad idea since Joel and CJ have already made the trip to the Denver area several times for these events.

jgray
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
You guys forget that CJ and I make out well during the regular racing season. PMP is only a 45 minute drive and PPIR about 30 if I drive real slow. I don't mind driving to Denver all that much as long as the weather isn't too bad.

Joel

Bottoz
01-09-2009, 06:19 PM
That's true. We're lucky that PMP and PPIR are so close! I'm going to race at home on the 17th over the 'Net, but I'll be up there this Sunday for the Console Game day.

Snymo
02-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Feb 8th event is cancelled due to lack of interest. Hopefully we can still have the March 8th event, which is the last scheduled one for this year.

Rick

Snymo
02-25-2009, 10:44 PM
OK, last chance to get together and do some bench GT4/Forza racing this offseason. Speak up now if you are interested. More details can be found here:
Link to March 8th thread (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=2774)

Rick