PDA

View Full Version : Start of a new GTS car....

Snymo
12-25-2008, 09:27 PM
http://snydermotorsports.tripod.com/temp/m3/SnymoM3_Stock_01.jpg

I've had this for almost two months, but finally had time (and a nice day today) to get it cleaned up and some pictures taken. It's a 1997 M3 with 133K miles that I bought to use as a part-time daily driver through the winter and then to turn into a GTS racecar for next season. After all the Audis and FWD cars that I've raced this will be a nice change. It has a few issues that need to be addressed, but nothing that I can't take care of myself or get done through the shop. And, if it doesn't actually make it to racecar status this year it will still make a fun pacecar. ;)

Rick

fhudsonjr
12-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Looks good! Are the issues minor?

dkmura
12-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Congrats Rick! Looks like a fine base vehicle to work from. Just curious- do you have a prep budget for your GTS entry and can you give your opinion on what it will cost to do the full race conversion?

jgray
12-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Looks like a well cared for car Rick. I'm interested in following your build process - keep us updated with photos when possible (please).

Joel

Majorbbear
12-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Rick:

Great to see the car. You are too good of a driver not be competing.

The best with the vehicle.

Barry

Snymo
12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
Looks good! Are the issues minor?
I think the issues are all minor, but others may not. Either way, each issue will be addressed before it goes on track so I'm really not worried about it. ;)

Just curious- do you have a prep budget for your GTS entry and can you give your opinion on what it will cost to do the full race conversion?
That's a pretty loaded question as there really are no rules for GTS since it's truely a build what you want and be classed by power-to-weight ratio series. With that said, I will be doing a pretty thorough cage (well above min-required but not super fancy), all the basic safety items, maintenance work and some suspension/wheel/brake upgrades.

These cars are good enough that you could gut and cage them and they would be competent racecars (so maybe $4-6K beyond the car purchase) or you can do what I'm going to do and you'll be in the ($7-10K range) or you could go crazy and you'd be in the unlimited range.

MHISSTC
12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Sweetness!