PDA

View Full Version : Nascar 2003 Jan 17th

svochuck
01-01-2009, 08:47 PM
my house, start time 6:30 pm

Let Art know if you want a custom car !

chris_venturini
01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
ill be there... so that means everyone else should start practicing for second!

ker
01-01-2009, 10:44 PM
my house, start time 6:30 pm

Let Art know if you want a custom car !

aren't you something like 6 years late? :D

svochuck
01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Chris we to get you and Weston a car so we know who to ... well yall just need custom cars .

GaryM05
01-07-2009, 07:51 AM
I'll be there. I've managed to get the game to actually install on my PC, so I shouldn't need to use the loaner this time. I'll just need to install the COT mod, tracks, paints, etc, and then I should be good to go.

Weston
01-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I expect that Chris, Dave, and I will be doing Race07 at Miller while the rest of ya'll are Dirksing around, trying to install your pretty little paint schemes... :D

chris_venturini
01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
I already have a custom car and I'm happy with it. My custom car looks great from the rear which is perfect cause thats all any of you see.

GaryM05
01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
I expect that Chris, Dave, and I will be doing Race07 at Miller while the rest of ya'll are Dirksing around, trying to install your pretty little paint schemes... :D

LOL - you mean copying a file and then selecting it from a dropdown? Yeah, that might challenge my abilities.

I have Race07 - I need to download that track and check it out. Which series are you planning on running there? WTCC, Caterham, Radical, F3000, FBMW, or all of the above?

chris_venturini
01-07-2009, 09:57 AM
we run the mini series as they are the closest to our cars on power and handling. The miller track is pretty cool and accurate.

GaryM05
01-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I forgot that game had the Mini - I don't think I've ever even launched that series. I'll have to check it out so I don't get schooled too badly.

Weston
01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
LOL - you mean copying a file and then selecting it from a dropdown? Yeah, that might challenge my abilities.

I don't remember what all they did, but there was a bunch of confusion about which files to copy into which directories, then half the cars didn't show up, other cars got duplicated, they were trying to coordinate this using a VPN with people in Ohio, and so on. Chris and I just played Day of Defeat for and hour or two while that was going on.

I forgot that game had the Mini - I don't think I've ever even launched that series. I'll have to check it out so I don't get schooled too badly.

Yeah, the Mini in the game has a little more power, and the tires are stickier than our R888's, but it's pretty close to a 944 as far as which turns you can take flat out, which ones you have to lift or brake for, etc.

I've been mostly playing the outer track and ran a 2:16 last night, which is what Chris got as well. I'd say 2:16 - 2:18 would be competitive. With the AI turned up to maximum (105%), some of the computer players are qualifying with 2:14's, but they don't seem to do it in an actual race.

Chris and Dave have been doing the full track more and run 3:24's.

I put the Miller track online here, since the site I got it from is a pain to download from: http://www.rm944.com/games/

Open the compressed file and put it's Miller folder into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<your steam username>\race 07\Gamedata\Locations

If you're on a 64-bit version of Vista or XP, it will probably be C:\Program Files (x86)\... instead. You'll need to create the Gamedata and Locations folders if this is the first track that you've added to the game.

The outer track is "Miller Short" under the Add-On tracks menu, and the full track is "Miller Park" under the Extra tracks menu.

AvantAddict
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
I've also been running a mod that has the cars from GT Legends, including the Porsche 914/6. It is a little faster than our 944's, but the handling is more similar than the Mini.

Gary, I'm sending you the COT mod so you can get it installed.

Bottoz
01-07-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm in. I'll VPN again from my house. Chris & Weston... I've got DoD installed and would love to get some FPS action in during the setup time. I'll try and get Race07 if it's cheap but Rock Band 2 is taking up a lot of my gaming funds!

Weston
01-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Race07 was only $4.99 on Steam when I bought it. :)

GaryM05
01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
2 hours? Wow Ė I guess thereís more involved in loading paint setups in that game that I would have thought. Too bad itís so complicated.

Thanks for all the details on the Miller track Ė Iíll download that tonight and check it out!

Dave Ė thanks; Iíll look for the email with the COT.

Dillon
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm in. NR2K3 is fun, but assuming I can get Race 07 running at a decent speed on my computer, and other people want to play, I'll probably playing more of "that pansy game" :P

jgray
01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
I just tried out the demo for Race 07. I really like it, so I bought the hard copy version online - should be here before the 17th. Will you guys be able to do multi-player over the net? My computer system is too much of a monster to be hauling around, so that's about the only way I could race with you. Also, I couldn't figure out how to adjust the anti-aliasing. I assume that it's not available in the demo version for some reason.

Joel

Weston
01-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Race07's basic graphics settings (resolution and anti-aliasing) are handled by a separate program, which you'll have to go find in it's program folder... it should be automatically launched the first time you run the game, but after that you have to go digging to find it.

svochuck
01-10-2009, 01:10 AM
don't worry about hauling stuff around Joel . You can use one of my laptops if you come race at my house. Or go over to CJ's and just skype in... bring a wheel

Bottoz
01-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Joel has the game, and the patch... I think all he needs is the Car of Tomorrow add-on and a track pack.

svochuck
01-15-2009, 10:48 AM
how about a custom car Joel ?

btw we will have 2 chris's, 2 Joel's and maybe 3 Dave's ???

chris_venturini
01-15-2009, 11:21 AM
im getting excited, weston and I had a miller warmup a few nights ago online...

jgray
01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
I installed Windows Service Pack 3 and now I have no sound! I've been toying with installing a new sound card too and I'm not having any luck. If I can't fix this in time I may not be able to join you online. I might consider meeting you guys at Chuck's place if I can't get this fixed. I'll let you know...

Joel

Weston
01-15-2009, 11:43 AM
im getting excited, weston and I had a miller warmup a few nights ago online...

http://i44.tinypic.com/9sqpzc.jpg

GaryM05
01-15-2009, 12:16 PM
I installed Windows Service Pack 3 and now I have no sound! I've been toying with installing a new sound card too and I'm not having any luck. If I can't fix this in time I may not be able to join you online. I might consider meeting you guys at Chuck's place if I can't get this fixed. I'll let you know...

Joel

Ouch! Have you tried updating the drivers on your soundcard? If you come up to Chuck's, you're welcome to run some races on my PC (though it's far from the latest and greatest, and I have to turn the graphics almost all the way down to get Race07 to run smoothly.)

chris_venturini
01-15-2009, 12:39 PM
a graphics card, even cheap ones under 100$, does wonders for games. I got mine for under 100$ and its the gforce 8800 with 512mb.

Weston
01-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Yeah, for some reason, Race07 really needs a graphics card... it shouldn't need that much of one, but integrated graphics probably wont cut it. Although I'm impressed with the game overall, I think it's rendering is not all that efficient or something...

It didn't run very well with my integrated GeForce 6100 graphics, even though my system is plenty powerful (Athlon 64 X2 5600+, 3 GB of dual-channel DDR2-800 RAM, 64-bit OS, etc). I picked up a new GeForce 9800 card for right around $100 on NewEgg (on sale), and now I can run Race07 and every other game I have at 1680x1050 and maximum quality. For NASCAR 2003, I even went into my Nvidia control panel and overrode it's settings to give me higher quality than the game was originally capable of. There are plenty of other cards that are decent and sell for well under $100, I just decided to spend a little more on a good deal.

GaryM05
01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Yes, my video card is definitely well behind the curve (itís about 3.5 years old, and I think itís a GeForce 6800) Ė the biggest problem that Iíll probably have with upgrading it will be finding a good one that will work with my Gen-1 PCIE x16 slot, and less-than-stellar power supply. CJ mentioned the idea of getting another 6800 and doing SLI, but I havenít checked yet to see if my motherboard has a second video slot.

Iíll probably break down and replace this machine later in the year, but Iíd like to wait until I can build a machine within my meager budget that can push iRacing across 3 monitors at full detail (my current machine is ok with iRacing on one display at low-to-medium detail, but those TH2Go resolutionĖexpansion boxes sure look cool.)

But, if I can find a good upgrade for my current video card for around $100 that could hold me over until then, I'll definitely buy it.

svochuck
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Joel for NASCAR 2003 you can use one of my laptops but I don't think they will run race 07 ...

Hey why does race 07 make me motion sick ?

GaryM05
01-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey why does race 07 make me motion sick ?

Do you have any of the 'G-effects' or 'look-to-apex' or other head-movement-simulating effects turned on in the graphical options? If so, try turing those down (or off) and see if that helps.

Also, if you're running it on high detail, it could be that there are so many reference points (i.e. details around the track) that your eyes are getting so many inputs that your brain actually thinks you're moving when in fact you're sitting still. Try turning the level of detail down and see if that helps.

Or, stop spinning so much! :D

svochuck
01-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Dave told me about the "look to apex" also . I think i will let you guys set it up for me then try it agian. I did buy the game but it only takes 1 minute for it to make me sick. This is coming from a guy who drives simulators for a living ...:confused:

jgray
01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry guys, but I still have computer issues that I wasn't able to rectify, so I'm going to spend the evening in with Glenda. Hopefully I'll get things running again before the next event. Happy racing!

Joel

Bottoz
01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Fun Stuff! 1st at Papyrus & Joe Gibbs. 2nd at Watkins Glen and Talladega... and lots of wrecks in between :) My Internets crashed at the end so I didn't get to do any Race 07 :( See y'all next time! Thanks for putting it all together Chuck.

svochuck
01-18-2009, 06:30 PM
15 drivers on on track ! what a hoot . so I think we will be taking some time off from sim racing and start working on race cars. I know i need to do a few things ...

chris_venturini
01-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks Chuck, what a fun time! Ill miss the sim get togethers, but I'm even more glad the real race season is starting up.

GaryM05
01-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks to Chuck for hosting Ė it was a fun time. It was nice to have so many folks connected, both locally and remotely.

It would have been even better if some of our remotely-connected friends hadnít minded that I used the included-with-the-game qualifying setup for Watkins Glen to, well, qualify at Watkins Glen (<cough> on the pole by over 2 seconds <cough> :) ), but it was great fun nonetheless.