PDA

View Full Version : Fuel issues at HPR???

ianacole
04-05-2009, 12:02 AM
And action to take: http://rmsolo.org/forums/showthread.php?p=41990#post41990

bpanther
04-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Send those letters not to the Sinclair, but to the CAMA board. :eek: Picking on a local vendor is not the appropriate way to go about this. Do it our way, not the other way.

CAMA is the one deciding NOT to carry 91/93 at the track. Sunoco fuel will be available at all kinds of race grades, but they have not planned to have it available in a lower street legal 91/93.

17 miles to gas at Byers vs 23 miles to Strasburg - it's really moot at that distance.

Petition CAMA to have 91/93 AT THE TRACK (and not at $5/gallon:) )!!! This is how it is done with all the other real race tracks across the country.

ianacole
04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Petition CAMA to have 91/93 AT THE TRACK (and not at $5/gallon:) )!!!

Or like the $7/gal @ Thunderhill for 91 :(

joestang
04-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Gas Cans :D

ianacole
04-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Gas Cans :D

That, personnally, is always my approach (exept in states where we're not allowed to transport gas :rolleyes: ), and since I'll be stopping at the Flying J at Airport Blvd. and I-70 to fill the RV, I'll get my gas at the same time.

docwyte
04-05-2009, 01:00 PM
I'll probably tank up the car and then bring a few gas cans with me.

It'd be very convenient to have 91/93 at the track and commercially available prices tho, just like at Miller...

bpanther
04-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Better than that, I buy all my race car gas at the place in Kiowa (shhhh... it's our little secret). They have 91 that is just plain 91. No random ethenol blend or anything like you get at most commercial places.

It's pretty much 91 race gas for $2 a gallon.

dlh
04-05-2009, 03:47 PM
CAMA does not want to compete with the local retailers for pump gas.

So it is a better idea to petition the local gas retailers to see if they could add 91 to their pumps. Perhaps if they do get enough interest, Sinclair will add higher octain gas.

jclark
04-05-2009, 03:58 PM
How is CAMA competing if the only local supplier does not carry 91 octane?

bpanther
04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
How is CAMA competing if the only local supplier does not carry 91 octane?

Therein lies the problem Jimmy..... :cool: :D

Snymo
04-05-2009, 08:14 PM
CAMA does not want to compete with the local retailers for pump gas.

To me, "local" means across the street or down the road, not 23 miles away (since you can't get it at the station 17 miles away). If there were a station on the corner, I would totally agree and understand the decision. Since there isn't, I have to agree with Dave and send the petition to CAMA.

CAMA clearly hasn't considered that a sizeable portion of their track users drive street cars and not racecars. Forcing anyone that requires pump gas (or anything less then race gase) to drive 23 miles (46 total) for 91 really isn't a "local" consideration anymore. And, if CAMA really wants HPR to be considered a national-level track they need to start thinking along those lines.

Rick

abacab
04-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Sunoco fuel will be available at all kinds of race grades, but they have not planned to have it available in a lower street legal 91/93.
Dave, do we know the particular grades they will have?

kaazsilvias13
04-06-2009, 01:02 AM
this is crazy i dont think life should be this hard:rolleyes: I just wanted to say what about the E85 users???????? dont forget about the corn fuel!!!!

docwyte
04-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I agree, 46 miles round trip is not a local supplier.

What fuel grades will be available at the track and for what price?

bpanther
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
What fuel grades will be available at the track and for what price?

It's on my list to check today.

dlh
04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
It seems the letter writing campaign has worked. Sinclair will be bringing in 91 octane.

If HPR were to ever get it, how much above market rates would you be willing to pay? Needless to say it won't be at market rates.

Taken from a bmw discussion board.

FYI

I submitted a note requesting Premium gas at this Sinclair in Byers and It seems
like the campaign worked!

I received this response from Todd from the Sinclair station and he asked me to
pass the infoツ along.

Thanks

Garyツ

************************************************** ******************************\

Thanks for writing in, sometimes it takes from feedback from the public to move
things along.ツ Kent (on site) and myself have been discussing this for about a
month now, and now we will be moving forward with the switch over to premium
fuel at the Byers location. I have ordered the necessary parts for the
changeover and over the next couple of weeks, should be complete.ツ If you have
any other questions/comments, feel free to contact me directly.

Thanks again for shopping with Sinclair!!

Molie
04-07-2009, 09:52 AM
I submitted a note requesting Premium gas at this Sinclair in Byers and It seems
like the campaign worked!

I received this response from Todd from the Sinclair station and he asked me to
pass the infoツ along.
!!

Yup, I posted this and am glad they will be carrying
premium gas!

MHISSTC
04-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Anybody have a diesel tractor they use only on the farm vs. a diesel truck you drive on the road?

I believe taxation is one of the issues when making "race gas" vs. "street gas" available for use. If there is any possibility of a particular vehicle using fuel that will then be burned while driving on public roads, the taxing authorities really like to ensure taxes are paid to maintain those roads. If you can ensure that the fuel is being burned in an "off-road only" situation, then some of the taxes don't need to be collected and the fuel becomes 'cheaper'.

CMC#35
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
It's on my list to check today.

Dave - any update? I'm trying to figure out how many fuel cans I need to bring.

thanks
chris

ker
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM

thanks
chris

it depends on your trailer weight capacity - if they're empty - you can bring all you want, your trailer is pretty big :D

bpanther
04-08-2009, 09:14 PM

thanks
chris

There is no fuel at High Plains as of right now. I have asked a local Sunoco dealer to be there.

*IF* he is able to make it, he would most likely bring a high octane leaded and a 98-100 unleaded.

I will know more Thursday.

CMC#35
04-10-2009, 11:44 AM
There is no fuel at High Plains as of right now. I have asked a local Sunoco dealer to be there.

*IF* he is able to make it, he would most likely bring a high octane leaded and a 98-100 unleaded.

I will know more Thursday.

cool, thanks.

-chris

bpanther
04-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Ok. Here is where we stand for the HPR opening weekend.

There will be no fuel service available at the track. Each participant will need to bring what they need.

Remember, all that was promised for the beginning was asphalt!!!! We have it, so let's use it!

Weston
04-10-2009, 12:29 PM
Thanks for trying, Dave! With this track being relatively close to home, I can't say that I'll mind too much if I have to haul my own fuel out there. A 944-Spec doesn't drink all that much fuel anyway.

chris_venturini
04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
guess ill have to buy some fuel jugs, oh well.

scionshorty
04-10-2009, 01:05 PM
guess ill have to buy some fuel jugs, oh well.

Might be handy to have them for other races too (ie Pueblo), so you don't have to deal with getting out and getting back before the track is hot again :)

Weston
04-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Might be handy to have them for other races too (ie Pueblo), so you don't have to deal with getting out and getting back before the track is hot again :)

But isn't it more fun to say "I told you so" when he's making a frantic last-minute fuel run on Sunday, because he didn't want to do it Saturday evening? :D

bpanther
04-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Advice for the newly wed. If the wife says "go buy fuel jugs." - go buy fuel jugs! :cool:

dlh
04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
I was out at the track today. On my home I stopped by the sinclair, and they have 91 now.

But did away with 87.

Weston
04-22-2009, 11:57 PM
Good to know. There is also 91 octane in Deer Trail, which is about the same distance as going into Byers.

Almost 8 miles West of the track on Highway 36, take Price Road south another 8 miles and it'll take you straight to a Phillips 66 station in Deer Trail, and they have 91 octane. I remember Price Road only having a sign on one side of the road... the other side labeled it as some county road number, but there should be a Deer Trail sign there too.

dlh
04-23-2009, 12:03 AM
I was in deer trail too, about 2 miles less than byers. But the gas prices seem to be at least 15-25 cents more per gallon in deer trail than Byers. Not much difference in miles, but Byers would win for gasoline prices.

Heck, the prices at Byers are less than what I pay in denver. Hopefully that won't change.

Deer trail is the first left past the bates motel, between mile markers 111 and 112.