PDA

View Full Version : At track report

bpanther
04-16-2009, 09:40 PM
It's windy. Very windy.

It rained for about 15 minutes today and that was it. :)

I and all of my fellow AI/CMC racers spent a lot of time in the dirt. :cool:

MHISSTC
04-16-2009, 09:55 PM
It's good that you are there now and can give everyone else updates on the conditions at the track during the next 24 hours. It should start getting a little more interesting for you in the next few hours. ;)

Martin Smith
04-17-2009, 06:42 AM
Morning news says Byers schools are closed. Not looking good! Supposed to snow from now until mid-day Saturday.

Keep us posted.

Martin

CMC#35
04-17-2009, 08:09 AM
Those weather gods must still be mad at us for racing in the snow at Pueblo in March'08...:(

I'm facing the same conditions that were in place for the March test-tune at PPIR. As of 8am there's 3" of snow in my driveway, coming down at 1" per hour. There is no way to get the Mustang out of the garage and on a trailer.

I'm hoping the weather takes a serious turn for the better, in which case I will do my best to get to HPR. But if not, I'm out for this weekend. Major bummer.

-chris

bpanther
04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
It's good that you are there now and can give everyone else updates on the conditions at the track during the next 24 hours. It should start getting a little more interesting for you in the next few hours. ;)

It rained a good portion on the night. It's still a light sprinkle now. There is someone out on the track doing laps right now. :) If I can con Kyle into putting the 888s back on, I'm going to go out and perfect my wet setup.

Kyle and I spent about 4 hours helping putting up the 60 x 20 tent last night. It's dry inside and we've got tent heaters. We've got food for 250+ people and enough beer to shut down a frat house, so you all just better buck up and get here. If we get hosed by the weather and we aren't racing, we're at least having a good party. :cool:

Special Ed GT
04-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Racing > Partying > Staying at home. See ya this afternoon! :)

bpanther
04-17-2009, 08:29 AM
i just talked to David a the track and he said that the temperature is at 40 degrees and there is only a light drizzle falling. There has been a car or two on track. The track really seems to be outside the snow line of this storm. As of now we are still planning a go for the weekend. Hope to see you all there.--Revkah

ianacole
04-17-2009, 08:37 AM
While the track may be good (will it continue to be?), the challenge may be in getting there.

nasa-rb
04-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Life is a challenge Ian......get there when you can safely
;)

ianacole
04-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Yep, we're loading up and should be there by noon30 - I need my wet track fix ;)

BADVENM
04-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Team Incidental Contact will be there early tonight. Exhaust issues are fixed as well as our alignment...THANK YOU NORTHWEST KANSAS TECHNICAL COLLEGE AUTOMOTIVE DEPT!!!!!!!

svochuck
04-17-2009, 11:31 AM
The 944's Are RACING ! AS of now the front runners are at my house hooking up wipers and heat ! we will be racing in style ...

cullenwinter
04-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Heat ? You also ran's are such wusses !! The Taos crew is hitting the road now.

Lee Hodgson
04-17-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm leaving around 4:00 from Carbondale. I'll get there when I can. Heaters? Hmmm, guess I'll wing it.

Special Ed GT
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Bruce and Eban left Hanksville awhile ago, so they'll be there soon!

And I'm getting a ride with Pat, so we'll be there as well.

ker
04-17-2009, 12:09 PM
revkah and i will be leaving soon to.

john clark reports from simla/hiwy86 that things are drying out and they never got any snow.

RichV
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
CDOT cams in Woodrow showing dry spots.

I have 8-12" infront of my house. Hoping for a miracle here. Worst case I'm racing Sunday!! And I'll run twice as hard and earn double points!! :D

MHISSTC
04-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Rich,

Since you'll be running twice as hard and there is a chance the track will be wet, should we throw some of our extra parts in there for you?

:D

CMC#35
04-17-2009, 02:14 PM
I have 8-12" infront of my house. Hoping for a miracle here. Worst case I'm racing Sunday!! And I'll run twice as hard and earn double points!! :D

Sort of same here: 8" in the driveway, and it is incredibly wet/heavy. There's always a chance I can get the car out of here, at least for Sunday.

-chris

RichV
04-17-2009, 03:35 PM
Rich,

Since you'll be running twice as hard and there is a chance the track will be wet, should we throw some of our extra parts in there for you?

:D

Throw a door in there too just incase the Pumpkin gets 'giddy'. :)

RichV
04-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Sort of same here: 8" in the driveway, and it is incredibly wet/heavy. There's always a chance I can get the car out of here, at least for Sunday.

-chris

I have people snowmobiling infront and behind the house. Maybe I can borrow one of those and tag it #71.

Evil86Saleen
04-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Paul is snowed in and his car is at my house. Scott and I are going to try and grab the big trailer and haul Pauls car to the track some time on saturday so he can run on sunday.

It was raining here in denver however its snowing pretty good right now.

kyle

Fstclyz
04-17-2009, 05:02 PM
If I show up later Saturday morning or at noon, can I still run? In time trials.

delirium45
04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
I am curious too, what happens to HPDE guys that show up /late/ on Saturday due to weather... can we still run that day, or should we just arrive on time on Sunday ?

bpanther
04-17-2009, 05:31 PM
I am curious too, what happens to HPDE guys that show up /late/ on Saturday due to weather... can we still run that day, or should we just arrive on time on Sunday ?

We will accommodate those that get to the track late. We can have more 8AM meetings throughout the day.

ScottDenver
04-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Being that, at best, it will be raining tomorrow, what will the rule be with respect to windows up/down?

We did windows up at Hastings, if I recall correctly.

JLW
04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Good question about the windows.

If road conditions are a problem early Saturday morning, can I bring my daily driver Audi wagon (on snows), have it teched, run HPDE and then on Sunday run my previously registered (and teched) Corvette in HPDE?

Coloradomark
04-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I just drove back from the track to my hotel by DIA
(5:30PM). Hwy 36, by the track, was getting covered with slush (ice in the morning?) and I had two trucks spin out in front of me on I-70. There was also a nasty accident at 225 and 70 between a semi and a FedEx truck - it looked like the semi won, the back of the delivery truck was gone. Speeds were 35 - 60mph in my 2wd truck.

bpanther
04-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Good question about the windows.

If road conditions are a problem early Saturday morning, can I bring my daily driver Audi wagon (on snows), have it teched, run HPDE and then on Sunday run my previously registered (and teched) Corvette in HPDE?

Yes. No problem.

bpanther
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Being that, at best, it will be raining tomorrow, what will the rule be with respect to windows up/down?

We did windows up at Hastings, if I recall correctly.

Windows up if it's wet is fine.

JLW
04-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Dave,
What time will the HPDE drivers meeting be?
What time will tech be available?

Thanks.

fhudsonjr
04-17-2009, 09:42 PM
We got as far as I-70 and Tower when the traffic was backed up East bound. We took the Tower exit and decided to get a couple of things from Walmart.

I was doing pretty good going UP the ramp around a stalled semi and behind several cars, when some idiot decided to stop instead of pulling off to the side to see if some other people needed help. I lost my momentum.

Some guy in an AWD van helped me out and got me going. I got stuck again and he used his tow rope to get me in a better position to make it to the top. God bless him.

Since it appeared I-70 was at stand still and I had that much trouble we decided to go home. I got stuck 3 more times.

Kumho Ecsta SPT high performance SUMMER tire!

Janet and I will do our best to make it Sat.

MHISSTC
04-18-2009, 06:02 AM
Bring your snow boots and/or rain boots. There is a lot of slush and wetness in the paddock.

Dave T. and I departed Goodland, KS about 5pm and we drove all the way in Friday night.

All was fine until we hit the heavy sleet from the thunderstorm right at Limon. There were several cars off, but we attribute those to folks going waaaay too fast when they shouldn't have been. After about 45 min at Arby's we left again and had varying amounts of snow all the way to HPR. I-70 was being taken care of VERY WELL by the CDOT plows. We followed a couple of them from just west of Limon to Byers. It was slower, but the road was good.

We dropped the trailers and headed out again. The cars are covered in frozen slush. It's going to take a while to de-ice them.

Hwy 36 didn't look like it was plowed, but it was very travelable with truck tow vehicles and trailers. There was a lot of slush. CHECK YOUR HEADLIGHTS. We had about an inch of slush accumulate on the headlights.

I-70 to DIA hotel was good. It had stopped snowing for the most part.

It's now 6am Saturday morning and we're about ready to head back to the track (just found out about the deayed start). It's snowing again...so without any slowdowns, we expect about 1 to 1.5 hour driving time from Tower Road on I-70 to the track.

I'm going back to the room to eat breadfast and rest some more before we head out.

See you all there. Be careful driving out.

Scott

RichV
04-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Joe just sent me a track pic.

http://www.coloradostangs.com/up/files/6/DSC00201.jpg
http://www.coloradostangs.com/up/files/6/DSC01154.JPG

A little different that at my house. Both pics were inside the last hour.

CMC#35
04-18-2009, 06:14 PM
(I'm reporting a phone call conversation)

Brad Densmore drove to HPR today from the Springs.

He said there were just a few slippery spots going over Monument. This was about 11am, Saturday.

At approx 12:50pm, he was on Hwy 36. There was slush on the sides of the road, and in the middle, but there were tire tracks that were clear enough to be able to drive without too much trouble.

It was raining most of the way from Denver. And going up I-25 was windy.

I think Brad took I-25 from the Springs, to I-225, to I-70, then west to Byers/Hwy 36.

I'm hitting the road out of the Springs at 5am on Sunday, with race car in tow.

-chris

Rockyrat
04-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I too plan on heading up from the Springs at 5AM on Sunday. The traffic cams show wet roads North of here and I'm hoping that they don't turn into ice rinks overnight.

GECCO
04-18-2009, 08:06 PM
We didn't get hit with anything like what I'm hearing about (and seeing above) in town, the track will be ready for Sunday. We got a total of about 1" - 2" of snow Friday night and a TON of rain. I brushed the snow off Friday night before it could freeze and NASA was able to put cars on the track at noon today and ran the rest of the day. There is NO snow remaining anywhere so the track should be completely dry on Sunday.

If you can make it to the track, it'll be worth it!

Here's a couple pics I took from the top of my trailer at about 7:15 Saturday evening

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/IMG_1267.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/IMG_1266.jpg

MHISSTC
04-18-2009, 08:09 PM
We just got back to our DIA area motel from HPR. The roads are fine. The slush melted at the track to a point that the moisture on the track was mostly due to the very light rain showers that fell through the afternoon.

DO NOT GO OFF TRACK.
Ask Tommy why.

In fact...if you look really closely just over Balingit's motorhome in the center left of the photo, you'll see his path through the mud.

delirium45
04-18-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the responses (and photo evidence)... see you there tomorrow AM !