PDA

View Full Version : Live feed and info for the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

bpanther
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Live Timing

http://www.drivenasa.com/liveresults/25hour/

If I get motivated, I'll post updates along the way.

bpanther
12-05-2009, 11:42 AM
20 minutes till we go hot.

bpanther
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
You can also try this link if the other link boggs down.

http://www.drivenasa.com:8080/liveresults/25hour/

bpanther
12-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Things are going pretty well.

We did have a miata burn and go up in major flames.

ker
12-05-2009, 11:14 PM
which team are you "hanging" with?

bpanther
12-06-2009, 06:31 AM
I am hanging with all the teams... !!!

I have been doing T&R IT support since Saturday at 8AM till 3PM. Took over race director duties till Midnight. Slept for 4 hours and am a race director until checkered flag at Noon.

bpanther
12-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Not much exciting happening in the dark hours. Mostly cars smoking, sound violations. About 3-4 body contacts since midnight.

dmdirks
12-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Sounds like fun, Dave! Thanks for the updates.

bpanther
12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
At 9:30AM (2.5 hours left to go) I said, "Well.... we have about 1/2 hour left to go for something really exciting to happen". The last 2 hours is typically boring.

At 9:52 or so Miata #64 comes out of the pits after making a stop. He makes it all the way to going over the top of the bypass at T5 and then the wheel (which I guess was jut changed and not torqued) comes off sending the car off DL at the bottom of 5. We figured the car would roll but it did not.

The wheel from the car rolled slowly across the dirt and onto the access road heading over towards safety. At the last second, it decides to turn and head back on track at T15 ;). Control calls out, "TURN 14 go waving yellow now!!!". The tire and wheel cuts across T15 just in front of several cars with the one car missing it by feet. Disaster averted.

Still waving yellow in T5 for the car off DL in the dirt. Safety responds along with lift tow to get the 3 wheeled Miata. About 1/2 lap later, a car comes over the top of the bypass. One small puff of smoke. Second larger puff of smoke. Kaboom - one 3rd huge puff of smoke and lets go. The car goes by the safety truck on fire spewing flaming oil onto the track and then spins in T6 in their own flaming oil and sticks it in the dirt DR.

Control & safety dispatch spews their own version of oil. "Safety 2 go now we have a car on fire in T6. Turn 5 we need an oil flag NOW (this is in addition to the waving yellow flag & red cross flag they are already holding :) ). I start to spew my own version of oil. "I want full course yellow. Someone wake up pace car. Where is my leader??" Leader is in Turn 14. Send pace car now now now. I need Thunderhill maintenance with the sweeper to cleanup oil.

By this time, the car that was on fire has gone out as soon as they turned off the engine. But cars are getting surprised by the oiled track right past the first incident and many of the "pro" (i.e. paid) racers are over driving the situation sliding in oil and nearly missing the safety truck. The field calms down and no problem.

The NorCal safety crew gets it all cleaned up in 3 laps under yellow and we're back to green within 10 minutes.

Can I predict excitement or can I predict excitement ? The last 2 hours were back to mellow.

BTW, that was the fourth car fire of the race. We had no roll-overs, which seems to average 2 per year.

ianacole
12-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Whew!!! Sounds exciting ... sorry I missed it! Have results been posted yet?

bpanther
12-07-2009, 10:14 AM
http://www.drivenasa.com/liveresults/25hour/