PDA

View Full Version : Fuel @ HPR

bpanther
05-10-2010, 10:23 AM
The fueling station should be open for business for Memorial Day Weekend. They will have:

Sunoco 260GTX 98 UL $7.78/gal
Sunoco 260GT 100 UL $7.78/gal
Sunoco Standard 110 L $7.75/gallon

svochuck
05-10-2010, 11:47 AM
2 of those look the same and it seems like 91 is missing ... ? maybe they did not install those pumps with 944-spec in mind .

Weston
05-10-2010, 12:01 PM
I've noticed that pretty much no new race tracks are designed with 20+ year old 150hp cars in mind. :rolleyes: Fortunately, we'll pass a number of regular gas stations on our way to the track, and I remember there being a Phillips 66 station in Deer Trail as well.

Weston
05-12-2010, 09:41 PM
More info on fuel...

High Plains Raceway Announces
May 12, 2010

The racing gods have finally smiled enough for us to clear the last few hurdles in the fuel station inspection process. IT IS NOW OFFICIALLY OPEN FOR BUSINESS!

We will be selling:

* Sunoco 260GT 100 octane (street legal!) unleaded $7.78/gallon - Description of fuel.
* Sunoco 260GTX 98 octane unleaded $7.78/gallon - Description of fuel.
* Sunoco Standard 110 octane leaded $7.75/gallon - Description of Fuel.

The fuel station is 100% automated and accepts Visa and Mastercard. There is a limit of $150 per transaction (about 20 gallons), and each card can only be used 3 times in a 48 hour period before it will be rejected by the computer, so don't plan to get small quantities multiple times in a single weekend. After 48 hours the card can be used again. These are the rules set by the credit card host contracted by Sunoco/Hill, HPR has no say in their administration.

Thanks!

Glenn Conser
General Manager - High Plains Raceway
www.HighPlainsRaceway.com
970-215-6040

docwyte
05-13-2010, 08:36 AM
Does seem kinda weird to have 98 and 100 octane unleaded, they're basically the same.

It'd make more sense to have 91, 100 and 110. Maybe they have a non compete with the gas stations in town and that's why they don't have 91?

bpanther
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
On the 91 note, I have to voice a bit of a complaint.

Pueblo has told me they sold 150 gallons during our weekend. 150 gallons???? They are selling it at $3/gallon, so obviously they aren't making any $$ on it.

I honestly thought more people would take advantage of having street gas at the track!!!! :mad: And at $3 a gallon!!!

While I don't agree on the fact that HPR doesn't have non race gas at the facility, I can't blame them based on the numbers above..... I certainly wouldn't put in a $50,000 fueling station for selling 150 gallons per weekend and only make pennies on the dollar.

I was considering going to bat for NASA participants and really hammering the fuel vendor at HPR to supply lower octane street gas, but I will keep my mouth shut. I can't honestly chew on them so they can supply 150 gallons a weekend. :(

Brad
05-17-2010, 11:11 AM
I honestly thought more people would take advantage of having street gas at the track!!!! :mad: And at $3 a gallon!!!

I didn't realize Pueblo was selling 91 @ $3 / gallon at our last event until after the event. I missed the post on here. If they do it again next time I'll show up to the track on empty and fill 'er up.

-Brad

jclark
05-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Dave,

Just so you know I bought fuel both Saturday and Sunday at Pueblo even though it was cheaper in town. I did appreciate having that available at the track and your efforts to make that happen!

John

CMC#35
05-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Dave,

Just so you know I bought fuel both Saturday and Sunday at Pueblo even though it was cheaper in town. I did appreciate having that available at the track and your efforts to make that happen!

John

Sounds like between the two of us, John and I bought a quarter of the weekend sales.

$3/gallon, and you didn't have to leave the paddock. How much more do you guys want? This was clearly posted prior to the event.

Sorry, but this one frosts me. People ask for services, support, etc., ignore it, and then complain later. I normally put 98 in my car, but for Pueblo, I bought and used 91 because they were there.

-chris

Weston
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I really liked having 91 octane available at Pueblo and that's where I bought my fuel, but I think part of the issue was that it was only available at certain times, and then there was some confusion on where it was actually located. People who were unsure or didn't have cash on hand probably just went to town to get fuel, since they know that's a sure thing.

HPR's fueling station solves all of that, but it's hard to say how much more people would really use it for 91 octane. We did run Miller out of 91 octane in 2008 though.

ker
05-17-2010, 01:50 PM
$3/gallon, and you didn't have to leave the paddock. How much more do you guys want? This was clearly posted prior to the event.

-chris

and it was in the welcome letter that dave sent out by email before the event.

chris_venturini
05-17-2010, 03:26 PM
only 150 gallons? Wow, and I was 20 of those gallons... the fuel guy was fantastic too, he was happy to serve and not having to go into town was really convenient.

Brad
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
and it was in the welcome letter that dave sent out by email before the event.

... that's what I get for being out of town until Saturday, then showing up on Sunday only and registering the morning of ... :o Normally I wouldn't have missed it.

Thanks for the efforts getting the word out and I'll support 91 at Pueblo next time. Will also support 91 at HPR if that happens sometime and the price is competitive.

-Brad

abacab
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
... part of the issue was that it was only available at certain times, and then there was some confusion on where it was actually located.
I bought some of my 91 at the track, but both of these reasons contributed to my not buying it all there. I bought some on Saturday, but only after I walked around the paddock for 15 minutes - first trying to figure out where the pumps were and then waiting for someone to show up at them. And my first session on Sunday was before the pumps were open, so I had to get gas in town on my way in.

JLW
05-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Thank you to all who arranged for & provided the fuel. You never know until you try. I think that if folks become accustomed to there being a reliable source of 91 available at the track the demand would pick up. Better "signage" might help too (perhaps a balloon floating above the site?) - I never did see where the pumps were at PMP and couldn't remember what the hours were when someone asked me.

I used less than 1/2 tank for my four 20 min. HPDE 3 sessions each day at Pueblo, so I didn't need to gas up during the day, just at the end of each day.

bschweig
05-24-2010, 12:29 PM
does anyone know if HPR will have e85, or is that station off the interstate about 25miles west still the best/only spot for e85 near or at HPR?

stealthy1
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
does anyone know if HPR will have e85, or is that station off the interstate about 25miles west still the best/only spot for e85 near or at HPR?
I dont believe HPR will have E85. And Im pretty sure that station when you get off at Byers does not have E85 either. Unless they started carrying it since last year.

I always bring a couple 5 gallon cans of E85 with me.

raybob9289
05-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you to all who arranged for & provided the fuel. You never know until you try. I think that if folks become accustomed to there being a reliable source of 91 available at the track the demand would pick up. Better "signage" might help too (perhaps a balloon floating above the site?) - I never did see where the pumps were at PMP and couldn't remember what the hours were when someone asked me.

I used less than 1/2 tank for my four 20 min. HPDE 3 sessions each day at Pueblo, so I didn't need to gas up during the day, just at the end of each day.

Dude, Your Avatar Rules!!!!
Back to your thread

bschweig
05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
I dont believe HPR will have E85. And Im pretty sure that station when you get off at Byers does not have E85 either. Unless they started carrying it since last year.

I always bring a couple 5 gallon cans of E85 with me.

the e85 station is about 15 miles? west of byers. last time i was at hpr there was a rumour they would have e85 and i wa hoping this thread would be in that loop.

i went through 15 gallons of corn at the flatirons hpr event last fall just on the track, so if they dont have it at the fueling station ill have 20 or 25 gallons for the HPDE

JScheier
05-24-2010, 01:44 PM

Was just out there this weekend. Sinclair (I-70 and HWY 36) does not have E85. I have heard there are 2 more stations on the South side of I-70, but did not venture over there.

HPR does not have E85. They are carrying 98, 100 and 108. 98 and 100 are (currently) $7.78 a gallon. I had to grab some to make it back to Byers both Friday and Saturday.

As a side note, CSP 'warned' at least 10 BMWCCA Instructors this past Sunday that they will start enforcing front plate laws on HWY 36. Please be advised if you are driving your car to the track as they were all over this weekend.

See ya'll Saturday!

stealthy1
05-24-2010, 02:19 PM
the e85 station is about 15 miles? west of byers. last time i was at hpr there was a rumour they would have e85 and i wa hoping this thread would be in that loop.

i went through 15 gallons of corn at the flatirons hpr event last fall just on the track, so if they dont have it at the fueling station ill have 20 or 25 gallons for the HPDE
I always try to bring some extra in case someone needs to fill their corn hole.:D If you're in need at lunch or the end of the day on Sat, find me and I'll help you out. However, I'll be out on a corner station all day Sat except for the early morning, lunch and at the end of the day.

Brad
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM
As a side note, CSP 'warned' at least 10 BMWCCA Instructors this past Sunday that they will start enforcing front plate laws on HWY 36. Please be advised if you are driving your car to the track as they were all over this weekend.

Duly noted, thanks. Glad I put a front plate on my Miata this spring, and will remember to reinstall before I leave the track. I take it off while on track b/c it blocks a touch of airflow through the radiator.

-Brad

bschweig
05-24-2010, 03:04 PM
I always try to bring some extra in case someone needs to fill their corn hole.:D If you're in need at lunch or the end of the day on Sat, find me and I'll help you out. However, I'll be out on a corner station all day Sat except for the early morning, lunch and at the end of the day.

last time i was at hpr there is e85 at the tomahawk station in watkins. that gets the tank pretty full to start the day at the track and then gets it full at the end of the day on the way home...