PDA

View Full Version : Racing Forza 3 Jan 1

cobrad
12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Okay, we had a great night racing Christmas evening. Rick, Gary, Raybob, Cody and myself. Where were you Joel, Dillon, Redsnake, Cobragirl and Jinzora. So put it on your calender for Jan 1 at 7:00pm

Brad

raybob9289
12-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Okay, we had a great night racing Christmas evening. Rick, Gary, Raybob, Cody and myself. Where were you Joel, Dillon, Redsnake, Cobragirl and Jinzora. So put it on your calender for Jan 1 at 7:00pm

Brad

I had a blast...
Thanks Fellas

95sprtcpedrvr
12-27-2010, 09:12 AM
I will be there dude!!!
Oh, how do I join the group?

supermac
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
Alot of fun! Sorry for taking everybody out...more than once!
Just look up raybob43 and join his party, if he is racing?

Snymo
12-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I will be there dude!!!
Oh, how do I join the group?

It's pretty easy John. Go to this post (click here (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=3489)) and add all of us as your friends in the Xbox main menu. Then, when you join the game, you can see us playing.

Once you go into the Forza multiplayer menu you can either invite your friends to your own game party or if one is already going, the game will ask if you want to join the party already in session (you must have friends set up for this). As long as we don't already have 8 people (that's the limit), then you will join. Just remember that if you join to join the party (so we can hear you) and the game (so we can race).

95sprtcpedrvr
12-28-2010, 12:30 PM
Ok, I've got my gold membership (Thank you Gary!!) and I'm picking up a wheel this afternoon.
What track are we going to race on and are we going spec?

Be aware I sent friend requests via X-Box.

Snymo
12-28-2010, 01:10 PM
What track are we going to race on and are we going spec?

John, we bounce around tracks a lot so be prepared for really anything and I would plan on some amount of spec racing, but it really all depends. Last week we spent the first couple hours racing somewhat random stock cars right from the default list. I'll admit is was actually pretty fun. Then, we switched over to some Spec Miata, GTS, Vintage, SU and V8 Supercar racing. If you have the time and game credits, build one of everything! ;)

GaryM05
12-28-2010, 01:20 PM
John - I'm glad you were able to get signed up!

In addition to what Rick mentioned for the cars, the main tracks that we find ourselves racing on the most are Road Atlanta, Road America, Sebring, Maple Valley, Tsukuba, Camino Viejo (short), Sunset Peninsula (combined oval and infield road course), with occasional additional races at places like Suzuka, Silverstone, Motegi, Le Mans, Sedona (club), etc.

We've talked about branching out to some of the other configurations for variety, but I think if you can learn some of the above you'll be in good shape (don't forget that you can turn on the track map and even the driving/braking line to help learn the tracks.)

jgray
12-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Sure, I'm in. :)

95sprtcpedrvr
12-28-2010, 04:34 PM
John, we bounce around tracks a lot so be prepared for really anything and I would plan on some amount of spec racing, but it really all depends. Last week we spent the first couple hours racing somewhat random stock cars right from the default list. I'll admit is was actually pretty fun. Then, we switched over to some Spec Miata, GTS, Vintage, SU and V8 Supercar racing. If you have the time and game credits, build one of everything! ;)

Well I have been busy building up my stock pile of cars and I already have a V8 Supercar, spec Miata and I think I have a stock car. I have over 1.7 million in game credits so I think I'm good there.
I just started using the wheel I picked up and I need to configure it, if at all possible. The braking and the steering are WAAAAY too sensitive. The ABS goes active with 1/4 depression of the pedal and the steering goes to lock with about 1/8th of rotation. I will be practicing with the wheel as well as tuning. Pretty tough this tuning stuff is.

Dillon
12-31-2010, 12:17 PM
I think I'll be in for this too :)

supermac
12-31-2010, 08:42 PM
I should be playing.

95sprtcpedrvr
12-31-2010, 11:26 PM
I had my first crack at competing online... and I didn't do well at all. Plus there were alot of guys that would run into me and spin me out. I also found out that the Microsoft Xbox 360 wheel isn't very good, or so it seems. I might just go back to the hand controller since the guys driving with that were beating the tar out of me. Had alot of DNF's!

Snymo
12-31-2010, 11:31 PM
John, getting run into isn't all that uncommon....even for us! ;) And don't get down on the wheel just yet. Give it some time and get used to it and it will work. Guys that can really drive well in Forza are just as good with the controller as they are with the wheel. See how it goes tomorrow with us! :D

rosscarlson
01-01-2011, 03:57 PM
I'll definitely jump in tonight too. One request - that we run at leash 1 race with A600 cars. Got a RS4 last week so I built one for the game I wanna run...

See everyone soon

Ross (jinzora)

rosscarlson
01-01-2011, 03:58 PM
As for the wheel I didn't like it at first either but now that I know it I love it. I would never consider using anything else. If you can mount it or get a stand for it the feel is much better.

95sprtcpedrvr
01-02-2011, 10:24 PM
I had a blast on Sat. nite. It was nice being able to talk with you guys instead of communicating via flags. It was a shame there were network problems that prevented some to join in.
I finally broke down and spec'd out an AI and GTS car, so I'll be ready for the next Forza Extravaganza.

Final Note; I need to apologize to Brad and Trey. My Peugeot was an all wheel drive and I didn't realize it until this morning.

jgray
01-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I tried to reboot and I couldn't get back on the network after that. Probably a pretty heavy load over the holidays, so it's not too surprising we had some issues. We had a few good races early in the evening though.

Dillon
01-03-2011, 01:06 PM
That was fun! Sorry for bailing early. My headset crapped out on me, then I started having network problems, then I decided to get something to eat. I liked those 510s, not sure who decided on those but maybe we need a vintage compact car spec class? :)

GaryM05
01-03-2011, 02:56 PM
That was really disappointing - thanks to the network problems, I was only able to connect for a single lap (after finally re-wiring my brake pedal so that I could use my wheel again!) Glad to hear that others had fun! :)

I didn't race the 510, but I know that it's a fun car and would agree that some sort of Vintage spec would be good - if we could get an equalized spec for cars like the Datson 510, BMW 2002, Alfa GTA, and maybe even the Ferrari California that just got released, I think we'd have a good new class to race with some of the older, lesser-used cars in the game.

raybob9289
01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
That was really disappointing - thanks to the network problems, I was only able to connect for a single lap (after finally re-wiring my brake pedal so that I could use my wheel again!) Glad to hear that others had fun! :)

I didn't race the 510, but I know that it's a fun car and would agree that some sort of Vintage spec would be good - if we could get an equalized spec for cars like the Datson 510, BMW 2002, Alfa GTA, and maybe even the Ferrari California that just got released, I think we'd have a good new class to race with some of the older, lesser-used cars in the game.

Sorry I bailed dudes, I had a visitor and when I tried to get back in it would'nt let me. I hope MSN or whoever fixes that shit...
BTW, the 510 cars would be in Vintage Trans Am under 2.0 liter class....

cobrad
01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Check this out!

http://forums.autosport.com/lofiversion/index.php/t121287.html

95sprtcpedrvr
01-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Trey was the one that suggested the 510's and I agree those were definitely fun!!! Need to spec that into a class.

The Ferrari California will require the use of a wing, it has been very tail happy when I was trying to build it into my SU car.

I second the notion of going with the Alfa!

I will want to do this again soon or I'm willing to meet up with anyone during the weekends to do so.

GaryM05
01-03-2011, 08:54 PM
The Ferrari California will require the use of a wing, it has been very tail happy when I was trying to build it into my SU car.

We might be talking about different Ferrari Californias - there's an old one and a recent one; the old one is the one I'm thinking of for this, and it's a little tail-happy but not to the point of needing aero. The newer one (I think Rick has an SU car built off of it) could be a different story! :eek:

Dillon
01-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Are the Alfa GTA and BMW 2002 in the classic cars pack? For people who don't want to get that, there are some other cars I can think of...of course the 510, but also the '73 Porsche 911 RS, '70 Porsche 914, '69 Fairlady Z 432, '69 Toyota 2000GT...I'm sure there are a bunch of Ferraris too :) Only the 510 and 911 were in vintage Trans Am, but I'd be open to exploring other options. I think I'll play around with mods to the 510 and 911.

GaryM05
01-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Are the Alfa GTA and BMW 2002 in the classic cars pack? For people who don't want to get that, there are some other cars I can think of...of course the 510, but also the '73 Porsche 911 RS, '70 Porsche 914, '69 Fairlady Z 432, '69 Toyota 2000GT...I'm sure there are a bunch of Ferraris too :) Only the 510 and 911 were in vintage Trans Am, but I'd be open to exploring other options. I think I'll play around with mods to the 510 and 911.

I believe the Alfa shipped with the game, but the 2002 was in the recently-released Community Choice pack. There's definitely enough of a selection in all the cars you mentioned that we should be able to find a few options for everyone, regardless of whether they have any of the extra downloads or not.

jgray
01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
I recall wanting to drive the 510 with your GrandAm cars and was told something like 'it's unAmerican'... So now it's ok to drive them now that you guys had some fun with them one evening? Sheese! I know, I know... There would need to be other 2.0L cars in the mix to make it a race, but why don't we just put Snyder in the 510 while we drive the classic pony cars and call it 'even'? Do I hear a second?!

Snymo
01-04-2011, 09:06 AM
This will probably sound harsh, but will these old cars (510s, 2002s, 911s) be any fun? Sure, if we are all driving the stock cars on small tracks it can be fun, but it's not like we would drive these around the full Sebring, Road America or any other long tracks. We already have the Spec Miatas which we pretty much race on two or three small tracks anymore.

If we start with an F-class car and mod it to "Trans AM 2.0" specs, it's going to be a mid-to-high D-class car I would guess, which is still below the E-class Spec Miata. So, is this just a wasted effort to build cars that are going to be some of the slowest cars we have and only be good on really, really small tracks??

Just asking.

GaryM05
01-04-2011, 10:13 AM
This will probably sound harsh, but will these old cars (510s, 2002s, 911s) be any fun? Sure, if we are all driving the stock cars on small tracks it can be fun, but it's not like we would drive these around the full Sebring, Road America or any other long tracks. We already have the Spec Miatas which we pretty much race on two or three small tracks anymore.

If we start with an F-class car and mod it to "Trans AM 2.0" specs, it's going to be a mid-to-high D-class car I would guess, which is still below the E-class Spec Miata. So, is this just a wasted effort to build cars that are going to be some of the slowest cars we have and only be good on really, really small tracks??

Just asking.

Hey - there's nothing wrong with 'slow' race cars, as long as all of the other cars in the race are also slow! :D

Personally, I'm getting a little burned out on always running some of the longer, big-name tracks in the game, and think that have a slower class of older cars to run on some of the shorter/tighter circuits would be worth a try.

I think that these could be a lot of fun - the 914, old 911, and 2002 in particular are always a blast to drive, IMO, even in their stock form. With just a little bit of performance tuning and equalizing, I think they could be a lot of fun to race on some of the twistier tracks that we currently avoid (most of which are variations of the fantasy tracks that we never touch - Amalfi, Iberia, some of the point-to-point Fuji stuff, etc.)

jgray
01-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I agree Gary. And when you think about it, some of our closest racing has been with the slower cars. If you make a mistake in a fast car, you end up being a half-lap down by the end of the race with no one to race with (or maybe that's just me:)). In the slower cars you can at least see your opposition at the turn ahead of you and know if you're making up (or losing) any ground. There seems to be a lot more bumping and rubbing in the slower cars too for some reason.

I've been getting tired of the tracks we frequent too but haven't said anything about it - just been going with the flow of the group. Prior to the holidays I took some time and worked on the career mode races. I was constantly asking myself, 'what track is this and why don't we race these online?'

Another concern though is that we have a lot of car builds, which is starting to make our casual race nights into a more exclusive group. I hope that the new sticky FAQ's will help with that, but I also don't want to make it too difficult for new people, or else they may not even try to participate. The builds are a cool idea and I don't want to quash the idea of having them, but there should still be some room for racing stock cars using the built-in Performance Index ratings.

Dillon
01-04-2011, 12:45 PM
I definitely prefer the slower cars, too. Anything faster than our SU builds are extremely difficult to control, at least with the xbox wheel. I personally don't have much fun racing the R3 and above cars, but maybe I just need to spend more time with them.

That said I'd love to see another vintage class. We do have a ton of classes already, true. But IMO the more the merrier :D I agree there ought to be some out of the box racing, but I have the most fun with our spec classes. If anything I think the spec races would attract people rather than turn them away. How about a PT class? Something close to AI, but open to any make?

Snymo
01-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Anything faster than our SU builds are extremely difficult to control, at least with the xbox wheel. I personally don't have much fun racing the R3 and above cars

Maybe that's my problem as I'm the exact opposite. I want faster cars and was thinking about a DTM class with the Audi A4 and Mercedes Benz C-class touring cars, which are R3. I'm also one of the only ones that enjoys driving the P1 cars though, so maybe I'm just weird like that.

OK, since we are filling up an "old" weekend racing thread with all of this talk of new classes, I'm going to start a new thread just for this. I don't want to loose anything but it will be easier to find later if we have it all in one thread. So, to continue this discussion....follow the link below:

Forza3 - Open discussion of new racing classes (http://www.nasarockymountain.com/nasa_forums/showthread.php?t=4317)

raybob9289
01-05-2011, 06:57 AM
I recall wanting to drive the 510 with your GrandAm cars and was told something like 'it's unAmerican'...

What, Grand Am ????

jgray
01-05-2011, 07:07 AM
What, Grand Am ????

I meant Trans Am, sorry.

hustler
01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks again for letting a NASATX member into the RM Forza crew. I get really tired of the bastard kids online with 1000hp AWD vipers.

My buddy was in a car wreck so he took his xbox home, so I just bought my xbox last week and had 2 cars when we played last, now I have a few more.

Thanks again,
Trey

raybob9289
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I meant Trans Am, sorry.

Gotcha Joel.
BTW, the under 2.0 liter cars were NOT competing with and NOT competitive with the 5.0 liter cars...

jgray
01-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Gotcha Joel.
BTW, the under 2.0 liter cars were NOT competing with and NOT competitive with the 5.0 liter cars...

When I said "competing with," read: in tandem, as in raced along with or at the same time, but not against each other... I know they were in a different class and not at all competitive with the 5 liter cars.

Are you done messin' with me now?! ;)

95sprtcpedrvr
01-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks again for letting a NASATX member into the RM Forza crew. I get really tired of the bastard kids online with 1000hp AWD vipers.

My buddy was in a car wreck so he took his xbox home, so I just bought my xbox last week and had 2 cars when we played last, now I have a few more.

Thanks again,
Trey

Good to see you on here Trey!
I was finally able to spend some time tuning a car or two as well.

raybob9289
01-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Are you done messin' with me now?! ;)

yea.:D